Every ZOOM meeting ever...
This Week's Warm Read is EASY
I had the chance to see and talk to many of you yesterday, and it really made me smile. I have missed y'all. I will schedule more ZOOMs soon. Today, I just need more research to happen. You should be starting to get an idea of what you are going to say. I was able to help a few people yesterday to broaden or narrow their topics. You think to think in terms of threes. What are three main points you can make about your topic? The format that we will use for our paper is just a five-paragraph essay on steroids. While I know that many of you can write without using a standard format like that-- the point is to give you something you can fall back on later when the topic is more complicated or you are stuck and not sure what to do. (Trying to give you a crutch for when a college class leaves you baffled and not sure what to do next.) I am going to basically leave you alone to work today. Please, please, please don't drag your feet. I am looking to finish up this paper by the end of the week or middle of next week. Throughout the day today I will be adding information about thesis writing and creating the outline, but from yesterday's conversations- it seems like y'all are not really ready for those steps. So, today-- just research and make notes. Nothing is due yet.
Can y'all believe we made it to the end of the first week? I miss y'all like crazy! Today will be another semi-easy day. You need to complete the Cold Read Fingerprints located on the WR,CR,Quiz,Tests tab. Then, you need to continue researching. A few reminders:
1. If you have not made a folder in your own GoogleDrive and shared it with firstname.lastname@example.org, please do so IMMEDIATELY. Click here to see a picture of my shared drive and see if I have your folder shared with me. I still have people who have it shared with email@example.com. I am trying to keep that email clear for communications from school officials and/or parents. I still have people who have embedded their folder inside the 2020 Research folder. Please watch the video that I posted yesterday if you are one of those people. I will be moving and organizing over the weekend, and I can't chase down your information every day.
2. This week we have had several assignments: Reading Confirmation, Creating a Folder, Agreeing to the Research Components, Plagiarism, Getting to Know MLA8, WR After Apple-Picking, study.com, and CR Fingerprints. (I think that is everything!) If you have not completed any of those, please scroll through the week's directions to locate and complete those before Sunday at midnight.
3. I will post a list of people who have stuff missing on Monday. I know that it is Spring Break- you do not have to DO those things over Spring Break- but that is when the information will be posted. You will not have any assignments during Spring Break; however, you would be wise to continue your research. I have allocated the week after the Break for writing the paper. I will help you with thesis statements and organization, so please don't go rogue and write the paper yet. There is a certain way I want it written-- that way it gives you a fall-back pattern in college should you need it.
4. I will be checking in your research folders to see that everyone has some research done. This is important. Everyone is working so diligently, that I will not reward those who are not. I have been so proud of y'all this week with the level of maturity, personal responsibility, and engagement that I have seen. The people who have not participated much are the same people who did not participate much when we were physically AT school. To those people, I say: WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE, AND WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED BY YOUR APATHY. I will not allow the few people with negative attitudes to mess up a good thing. I talk to Ms. Jones and some of the other teachers daily, and they just can't say enough about how amazing Magnet kids have been doing this week.
5. I know that I have said this in many, many posts, but I want to make sure that each of you know how extremely impressed I am with your patience and work this week. I feel so blessed to teach at our school. I know as teenagers y'all are jaded and hate everything-- but I hope you will really stop and think about how lucky you are to go to an awesome school with the best. most caring students and teachers. I have worked in the best and worst schools in this city- and there is nowhere I would rather be right now. I know some of you may be comparing what you are doing to what your friends at other schools are doing. Just remember that we transitioned to this seamlessly, y'all already had the skills and work ethic to make this happen, and you are doing AMAZING! If I have not touched base with you yet-- I will in the coming days. I will be setting up some Zoom sessions over the Break just to check in with everybody-- not for work, but just to see your smiling faces! I'll let you know when those will be. I love you! I miss you! Have a great break!
Here is your daily dose of the class mascot helping with my work.
Today is pretty straight forward. You will complete the Warm Read (like always) and continue your research. I am glad to see that some people are researching and finding that they need to change works, add works, consider other aspects, etc. Sometimes in research, that's what you have to do. You don't always know what is available until you start looking around. If you need information on dates, requirements, etc... look back at that Research Components file or visit the Writing tab. I have the directions/requirements listed on both. You may notice that I have tomorrow listed as a "due date" for research. That's not a real "due date." It just means that when I look in your folder tomorrow I should see that you are in the process of doing your research. You will have to continue the researching and come up with a thesis statement over the break. While we don't have actual class over Spring Break, if you need me I will be here. I can help with thesis statements then. For now, just research.
If you are having trouble making the folder, see the video in the post from yesterday. (I am becoming a YouTube Legend... move over Vlog Squad!)
Just a little check in... I hope everyone is doing okay. I am climbing the walls a little. But, I am here if you just need to chat or vent or whatever. All of our home situations are different, so I get it if this isn't so easy. My home situation is good, and I still get down when I am stuck in the house and without people. I think my dog may even be getting irritated by me! So, please reach out if you need to!!! Your teachers are definitely here for you. We are missing you as much as you (admit it) might be missing us.
(Update: Video is below) ** I don't know why I can't comment on the responses below... but I have received some of these. I will make a quick video showing what to do for anybody who is having trouble. GoogleDrive is the devil, but once we get everybody set up, it should make things easy. I miss y'all so much!!!
These people do not have a folder that they have created in their personal drive and have shared with me. In some cases they shared with ammccalister and just need to reshare to firstname.lastname@example.org. if you can just make a folder- I can put the files into it. Don't put it in 2020 research. Just put it in your drive and add me as a share. I am trying to get everything organized so I'm not missing anything.
Jahlayna, Olivia, Ashli, Connor, Jacob, Jakobe, Caiden, Makenzie
Uriah, Sharron, Parker, Jernescia, Sophia, Garrett, Cameron, Corbyn, Jalynn, Zaria, Nathan
Elijah Boston, Carla, Chiara, McKenna, Trinity Palmer , Shakera, Drew, Trinity W, CJ
Cris, Jayden, Hannah, Lindsey
By now, you have read the introduction information on the home page and completed the response box to let me know that you did so. If you haven't done this-- do it before starting today's work.
Access the shared research 2020 folder below. Remember to COPY anything to you drive so you don't alter the original file.
Ignore the half-naked men on the front of the books. These actually were some quick, funny reads. And I have a point. READ.... it doesn't matter if it an award-winning novel or a trashy romance, JUST READ. It exercises your brain and gets you outta the house when you can't actually get outta the house.
Thursday, April 23
Thursday, April 16
Monday, April 13
Thursday, April 9
Wednesday, Apr 8
Tuesday, April 7
Monday, April 6
Sunday, April 5
Saturday, April 4
Friday, April 3
Thursday, Apr 2
Wednesday, Apr 1